The past week for me has been so crazy with juggling work, school, after school clubs, appointments, and a last minute trip to the theatre to see Wicked again. So crazy that today I sent my poor son to school in uniform on a non uniform day. He was the only one and I felt so awful. It didn't bother him but it bothered me. I felt like I failed him by forgetting to check the school diary. People tell me not to beat myself up over little mistakes, I am not the only mum/dad who will mess up and the kids will survive.
My big F. up today has inspired me to write a little list of common mistakes parents will do and will continue to do in the future:
1. Completely forgetting about taking your children to their best friends birthday party. Yeah you will probably get a few funny looks in the school playground but as long as you make up an awesome excuse, everything will be fine. They will get over it.
2. Forget that your child has a tooth under their pillow. I have done this to my eldest as it happen when I was working a late shift back when I was in the military. I was exhausted and just fell into bed. I felt so guilty that I made an excuse that the tooth fairy was busy and had asked me to pay you in the morning. He was fine with it, thank goodness.
3. Miss a football game because you overslept. Yes, your child will probably hate you but they will survive. There will be plenty of other games, missing one won't hurt anybody.
4. Forget to make cakes for the school fair. Thank goodness for Sainsburys! But if you haven't got time to pop to the shop, don't worry. Theres always that mum that has made about a hundred perfect cupcakes. Yours will probably be lost in the pile anyway so no one will notice.
5. Forget to turn up to your child's school assembly. I have done this a few times as sometimes my son's school has them at funny times of the day. One time I was told he had won a head teacher award and I wasn't there to watch him receive it. It was ok though as he hadn't noticed I wasn't there and his teacher had taken a photo for me.
6. Sending your child to school after they inform you they are poorly. You then receive a phone call an hour later from their teacher to pick them up as they have covered their desk in sick. I tend to do this because my children are always pretending to be ill so they don't have to go to school so its gets difficult to know when they are telling the truth.
7. Forgetting the essentials on day trips such as suncream (summer months), hats, nappies/wipes if you have babies, snacks, babies special teddy bear and what I did lately, your purse. Other than the purse and bear, most things can be purchased when out so it's not the end of the world.
8. You left the house in your slippers. I'm sure I am not the only one who has been in such a rush that they forgot to change their shoes.
9. Ensuring your child has done their homework. I am currently trying to get my children to remember themselves to get their homework completed but at the moment they will find anyway to get out of doing it. So I have to try and remember to tell them to do it.
10. Making promises you can't keep. I hate letting my children down but sometimes you can't help it. For example, you have promised to take your child to the zoo at the weekend but the weather is awful so you are forced to stay at home. Or you promised to buy your child a bike for their birthday but you are having money problems and you can no longer afford it. Children do not always understand the hard ships of adult life but they are very good at getting over let downs when distracted with another activity.
Thats my list of 10 common screw ups I am sure we all make. Can you think of any others I haven't included?